Wednesday 10 April 2013

Really Random Wednesday: Will the Madness Never Cease?

You know, when I started this writing thing, I was really oblivious about a lot of stuff. Turns out writing the book is just the first part of a long, drawn out process for authors. Who knew? (All you experienced authors out there can wipe the "I told you so" looks off your faces)

So first, you have to write the book. Check.
Then submit the book and get it accepted. Check.
Do a cover questionnaire? Oh. Well, sure, I guess. Check.
Set up a webpage? And a blog? And a Twitter account? And a Facebook page? Oh, boy. I may have some time. And I'm not 100% certain how all that works. But ok. Check, check, check, and check.
Edit your book and resubmit. Check.
Keep up with your social media. Check. Sort of.
Do your final edits. Check.
Promote your book. Say what now? Let all my social media peeps know about the book, but don't be obnoxious by tweeting/blogging/status updating "BUY MY BOOK!" 24/7. Umm...check?
Let a co-worker know your pen name, have her blab it to the world, get hauled into the boss's office and told to stop writing dirty fuck books. Check.

What do you mean I have to start all over again? Commence hair-pulling now.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy writing, and I'm glad to be able to share my work with the world, but I had no idea this would be so difficult! I was on a roll for a while, and producing books quickly, managing to complete and release two books so far this year, and have another on the way at the end of this month. It's really not too shabby.

But then stupid ambitious me decides to branch out and write a book in a completely different genre under a different name. All those steps up there? Repeat.

And this other book is really putting me through the paces. My editor hated it. Well, she didn't say that, but let's just say the subtext was strong. And now I'm pretty much re-writing the whole thing, which has put all my Siren WIP on hold for the time being. I had hoped to have another book out in June, but I just haven't been able to finish it because I'm working on this other project.

So I'd like to apologize to my readers, because after Training the Help comes out, it'll be awhile before my next book. In the meantime, I'll try to get some free reads up for you, plus I'll continue blogging, and featuring tons of fabulous authors! It's my goal to have my next Siren release in July. Keep your fingers crossed and send me your positive vibes!

No comments:

Post a Comment